Quote Today

    If you pretend to be good, the world takes you very seriously. If you pretend to be bad, it doesn't. Such is the astounding stupidity of optimism.
    - Oscar Wilde

    Thursday, June 4, 2009

    My Word Against Yours Share

    After the much annoying incident with my hard disk experiencing a very much annoying glitch, I was left with little to no available space to save files I have on my laptop. So a file-housekeeping was called for.

    Whilst doing all that here and there, I came across this piece of um shall I say, written frustration I had filed way back before. It seems trivial now, even hilarious, reading it. But, then, it was nothing of the sorts. I was genuinely furious and unsatisfied with what the situation held for at that time. And so I thought I'd give it a post here just for the fun of it. (",)

    This was way back when I was holding a certain high-position responsibility and someone ruffled my feathers in the wrong way:

    "Somebody once told me that I’m strong-headed, that I will defend my word against others. That my denial-mode is to fight back.

    Funny – don’t we all?

    I don’t blame you entirely. Little is your knowledge of how far I’m stretching the definition of ‘fighting back’. Verbally going against is just one of it.

    So quick of you to make judgments. Here’s one specifically for you then – HYPOCRITES. So I made mistakes but who’s to say you didn’t as well?

    “Restructure your words”

    “Let us do our work”

    “I’m not trying to take your place”

    Yadi-yada...dilly-dally…

    Restructure my words? This coming from a person who beats around the bush…and still squirrels wouldn’t come running out. Psst…hey “guru” of appropriate sentence formation, get a load of your own “I want” phrases and while you’re at it, why don’t you kick down a chair or two.

    Printed a couple of paperwork and stamp-pressed a bunch of books, and BAAANNNG! Suddenly, I’m accused of doing everything. Sure, I can follow in the footsteps of my “oh-so-wise-and-wonderful-ex-mentor” – sit at the meeting table, put on a strict face and do absolutely NOTHING. Now, wouldn’t that be great? The top-most post and nothing to do…now, if only I can get them to pay me for my services – or lack of…and of course I’m not lifting a finger!

    Dare you to say I’m not doing my job right.

    I didn’t choose this job in this first place but I can deliver. If you can’t stand up and face the people who scrutinize your every move, turn away. If you’re not willing to accept my criticisms, stop criticizing me. If you can’t fight back, then you’re no better than I am.

    It will be my word against yours."

    Yes, as you may see, office politics is a b*tch...

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    home
    Blog Widget by LinkWithin